12 September, 2015

Brownies for Supper

I know a lot of people are into gluten free whole foods nowadays. I'm fairly neutral & do whole foods as we're able. I do step up my nutrition during pregnancy though & was surprised to feel nauseus the whole first trimester. That was a first for me. I ate less than usual & mostly toast/crackers.
I had a "birth a healthy baby weight" plan by cutting out all sweets during the week & indulging in desserts only on Sun. during my second trimester. This really worked for me & it was easier to say no during the week knowing Sun. was always so close. For the record all of my babies have been healthy weights, I'd just like one a little smaller than Leora. She is built like a box. I gained 20 lb. by 20 weeks & then stopped for a month & a half.
My 3rd trimester is a no dessert time whatsoever excepting my morning coffee. I have found this more difficult than I thought. We had our once a year church baptisms/picnic of ALL FRIED FOOD. Except coleslaw. Fried fish, chicken fingers, onion rings, french fries & 2 kinds of pickles. I thoroughly enjoyed 1 plate, Mike is my will power during these times. He carries away the extra plates I'm holding for the girls so I won't be tempted. I avoided indoors completely where all of the desserts were until the end where I spied watermelon & grabbed 2 slices on the way out. Fruit doesn't count! Also our church is full of fitness freaks, on the whole we have a pretty healthy congregation. The sermon that morning coincidentally happened to be gluttony, we're going through the 7 deadly sins.
But w/ no more desserts I have had some serious chocolate cravings. I don't know if this means I need to increase my intake of magnesium or what. I cobbled this recipe together last night after not liking a previous one so much. I had baked sweet potatoes in the crockpot for supper but they were wanting to sleep outside in tents so I gave them these muffins to run around outside w/. They were full after 2 of them! My first batch a week ago had stevia instead of honey & no flour. Meh.
Into the blender:
  • 2 eggs
  • dash of vanilla
  • 2 T melted coconut oil, 1 T creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 C apple sauce
  • 2 C rinsed black beans
  • 2 banannas
Puree!

Mix in a bowl:
  • 1/3-1/2 C raw honey
  • 1/2 C cocoa powder
  • 1/4 C flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
Mix together & you can use an 8x8 brownie pan & slice but I like them in muffin tins. This leaves nothing leftover. Bake @ 350 for 25 or so min. This might be too much chocolate right before bed; there was a lot of giggling out in the tents up until 10:00 but it might of been the novelty of sleeping in the tents. Leora stayed indoors & fussed & kicked until nearly 10 so I'm thinking it wasn't just the tents. They've tried this about 8 times & this was the first time they stayed out all night w/ out getting scared, even w/ light rain & distant lightning. I was proud & Mike & I enjoyed listening to the weirdness they came up w/.

So there is some sugar in these which means I've lost my goal but in my head dividing it among 12 muffin cups it didn't seem enough to get bent out of shape over. Lots of people add chocolate chips to these which sounds great but off the table for now. I had walnuts in my last batch & enjoyed that too.

No comments: