22 April, 2010

Hillbilly Housewife Helped Me Yet Again

Every Wed. we get together w/ my brother in law's family & we girls will cook something up for supper. This week is waffles. (Breakfast for supper is never wrong!)
But alas! What is this? A dab of syrup enough only for a cornbread muffin? It won't work. Yes, there's jelly, preserves, honey & sugars of various sorts, but I really prefer syrup w/ waffles.
There's no way I'm driving back to town today for only syrup so I turn to my favorite frugal internet lady, Susanne at Hillbilly Housewife, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/.

A lady named Lisa posted this & it tastes pretty good. I mixed the dregs of the leftover syrup w/ plain yogurt for my brother in law as that's his forte' & after rinsing the bottle out in lava hot water refilled it w/ the new stuff. It filled all 24 oz. (syrup standard?) w/ a bit left over.
Lisa says..


"I like to make this syrup because it has few ingredients, easy to make, and tastes great. It is thinner than commercial syrup but at least I can read the entire ingredient list and know what is in it."

You will need:
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 1/2 C. water
1/2 C. white sugar
3/4 C. light corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. maple flavoring (optional)

Combine sugars, water, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for approximately 7-9 minutes to thicken slightly.
Remove from heat and stir in salt, vanilla, and maple flavoring if using. Cool completely before pouring into bottle or jar. Does not need to be refrigerated.

*Note* I have never used the maple flavoring in this syrup and it still tastes “maple” enough for my family.

I concur.

No comments: