01 May, 2009

My Veil

I don't think I've yet written of it but I do believe that the scripture commands women to cover their heads. I've been covering my head & not worn pants (w/ the exception of bicycling) for 3 years now. I started out wearing bandannas, then the square Jewish scarves, & now I only have a few. 2 bandannas, 1 cotton snood, 2 veil types & 1 gathered headband that will pull out until it covers my head entirely. I only mention it because where I live, there are so many people & different religions that no one will look twice at you for covering. Small town Mo. is a different story, a lot more same-ness pervades. This is the first time I've worn a headcovering regularly in front of my family, on their turf, & it raised a couple of inquiries. My aunt, who was very instrumental in leading me to some websites & learned men (Michael Bunker, Arthur W. Pink, Rand Winburn among others) wanted to know what article I had read specifically on BA ( http://biblicalagrarianism.com/index.php) that convicted me personally since she didn't feel convicted to cover. To this I didn't have an answer that I thought pleased her. I've read several very good articles & listened to a wonderful sermon by Michael Bunker, but ultimately I didn't come across those until after I had already donned a cover. The scripture itself convinced me. "But if a woman have long hair, it is a praise unto her, for her hair is given her for a covering."

Many people will point to 1 Cor. 11:15, that the long hair is the only covering required. I do think that the Bible intends for women to have long hair; it is a gift I've had the majority of my life & I am grateful for it. W/ my own personal experience though, uncovered hair just begs to be colored, arranged, defy gravity, poofed, decked w/ flowers & sparkly fasteners & in general just be in configurations God did not intend for me, all for the purpose of being attractive. I don't know of any non-sinful reason I would try to attract the attention of others, especially of the opposite sex. A girl about my age at the park came right up to me & asked if I was wearing a veil/covering. Jeans, t-shirt, ponytail w/ highlights & earrings, a pretty girl in a fairly standard mom uniform. We got to talking & she said that she attended a very small (10 or so) KJV, non 501-c3 church & was actually studying the covering issue w/ her mother who had decided to cover & was pressuring her, the daughter to cover as well, but she didn't feel convicted. Also her husband didn't want her to cover. I told her to follow her husband as it isn't a salvific item, I cover because of 1 Cor 11:5,6.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth bareheaded, dishonoreth her head: for it is even one very thing, as though she were shaven. 6 Therefore if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn; & if it be shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered." We are to "pray w/out ceasing" & I think myself that verse 6 makes a clear case for the covering. A thousand years of church history & even in art the women all cover almost up to the 1950's in the rural areas when attending church. These are things I didn't know or think to ask about, why was church suddenly different 100 years ago from the way it had been & that was ok? George Bush 42, was the most incurious president of all time. I think most of America has been cursed w/ that.

No comments: