20 March, 2009

DV

I used to want to take latin, & even bought a "Latin for Dummies" book on a 3 month deployment to Ak. filled w/ aspirations of understanding the basic rudiments & improving myself thereby. Alas.

Anyway, this is one latin phrase that has caught & stuck to me. DV or Deo volente for Lord willing, or If the Lord wills it. Latin is funny like that, in English you would say "The life of the oyster" while latin does away w/ all of those extra words w/ a simple "vitae ostrea."

I think that was up to the 3rd chapter where I proceeded to get very muddled & despaired of ever learning latin.

Since learning of DV, I've made a concerted effort to drop the words "by chance, luckily, unfortunately, good luck" & the like from my conversations. "For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, & do this, or that." & "Boast not thyself of tomorrow, For thou knowest not what a day may bring." Jas 4:6, Pro 27:1. It's much more comforting to know that God is completely in charge & Fortuna (http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/fortuna.html) is not.

2 comments:

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Hi,
I'm glad to see ya'll are all doing well. My mother in law says "If the Lord spare" at least 10 times a day. It's her version of God willing.
We need to start sewing our swimsuits, I'm going to try to get my fabric this week or at least order it. I found a cute modest dress pattern for Charlotte at the thrift store, I'll try to drop it by one day this week. Talk to ya soon.

Unknown said...

Hello,
My wife and I enjoyed reading you blog today. There is a typo, however, in the citation. The correct citation is James 4:15.